Friday 19 March 2010

Car Joy For Man Who Lost Two Limbs

A MAN who lost an arm and a leg in a motorcycle accident 26 years ago is celebrating after finally
passing his driving test.

Chris Allen, 44, from Kempsford, has passed his driving test after the fourth attempt in a car which has been specially adapted to meet his needs.

Chris was left devastated at the age of 17 when he lost his right arm and his right leg in a motorcycle accident on a dual carriageway between Chippenham and Lavington in 1983.

His injuries were so serious that he was in a coma for more than two months and even had to learn to speak again.

He also uses a prosthetic leg.

At the time of the accident he was having driving lessons but vowed never to get behind the wheel again due to the severity of his injuries.

However, last month, Chris finally passed his test in Chippenham with four minor faults.

He said: "I am so delighted. I was craving some indepedence and I just wanted to feel normal again. Now I do.

"It is a saviour having a car. There is only one bus a day from the village into Cirencester which was a nuisance.

"Now I can just hop into my car and go anywhere, anytime.

"Having a car is essential if you live in a remote village."

In 2008 Chris asked the government to help him fund his lessons. However, he found he was ineligible for charitable funding because he is not aged between 16 and 24. So he paid for the lessons himself.

His car, which is on a three-year lease through Motability from the Allen Ford dealer in Swindon, has been specially adapted. The car is automatic and the brake and accelerator are both operated by the left leg.

There is a knob fitted to the rim of the steering wheel which Chris can move with one hand. Features such as indicators and windscreen wipers are operated by an infra-red panel just off the steering wheel.

"I was so nervous getting behind the wheel for the first time but I was determined to do it," Chris said.

"When you are 17 you think you are indestructible. I won’t be making that mistake this time.

‘The car took a lot of getting used to but now it has become second nature. I never thought I’d be behind a wheel again, I know I’m very lucky."

Source : Gemma Casey - www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment